This is a note-to-self
StartSSL is a certification authority which gives away free SSL certificates valid for one year (after which you can renew it again for free). They are simply awesome. Anyway, this blog post documents how you can setup an ssl cert on an nginx server using the start ssl free cert.
- Signup for a StartSSL account . StartSSL doesn’t give you a username and password, it gives you a client certificate instead (Use firefox to do signup). Make sure to back up the client cert.
- SSH into your server and run the following commands:
- On startssl browse to the control panel and then to the validations wizard and validate the domain for which you want to generate your ssl.
- Now go to the certificates wizard tab in the control panel and create a web server ssl certificate. Skip the first step and paste your
server.csrfile in the next step. Finish the rest of the steps of this wizard.
- Browse to the tool box in the control panel and click on retrieve certificate. Copy your certificate and paste it into a file called
server.crton the server.
- Download sub.class1.server.ca.pem to your server.
- Now run
cat sub.class1.server.ca.pem >> server.crtto append the intermediate certificate to your cert.
- Run the commands:
- Change your nginx conf to:
- Restart your nginx server